Schinkel in the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche as of 2020

11.10.2019
Friedrichswerdersche Kirche

The restoration of the Friedrichswerdersche Kirche (Friedrichswerder Church), designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel, has been completed. Beginning in the second quarter of 2020, the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin will use the church building once again as an exhibition space for the Alte Nationalgalerie, featuring an exhibition on sculpture from Schinkel’s era.

The church building has been returned to its role as a museum for sculpture. Hermann Parzinger, president of the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation), thanked the Evangelische Kirchengemeinde in der Friedrichstadt (evkg-friedrichstadt) and the Evangelische Kirche Berlin-Brandenburg-schlesische Oberlausitz (EKBO) for their willingness to make the church building available to the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin. The agreement initially lasts for at least five years. Parzinger stressed: “The successful cooperation between the church community and the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz during the restoration period not only makes it conceivable but speaks well for long-term use of the building, both as a museum as well as for church services.”

The Friedrichswerder Church: Hemmed in by New Buildings and Closed for Seven Years

For about seven years, only the exterior of the church building could be viewed, because the construction of new buildings in the immediate vicinity had severely damaged this church (built from 1824‒30) from floor to ceiling. Its neighbour, the Bauwert AG development company, has finally restabilised the church building to avert further damage. In addition, the neighbouring buildings realised by Bauwert AG directly adjacent to the windows along the church’s west side were to a large extent built lower than the construction plans would have allowed in deference to the incomparable illumination of natural light in the church interior.