Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart - Berlin
The Hamburger Bahnhof was built in 1847 as one of Berlin's rail heads, but already in 1906 it was found too small for a station and was converted into a museum of traffic and building. Located in "no man's land" between East and West Berlin, the Hamburger Bahnhof remained unused after the Second World War. Successive restoration began only after the GDR handed the building over to the City of Berlin in 1984.
In 1987, the Hamburger Bahnhof was assigned to the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Foundation of Prussian Cultural Heritage). The 1989 competition for the conversion of the building was won by the architect Josef Paul Kleihues, a museum specialist who designed an ideal concept for the multi-functional usage of the new museum.
The large entrance hall serves as a central space for orientation and leads to all other parts of the building. From there, one can reach the two-storey western wing of the cour d'honneur, the ground floor of which serves as a permanent exhibition space dedicated to the work of Joseph Beuys. The eastern wing contains a restaurant and events forum. The great hall and the modern galleries are used for special exhibitions.
Since September 2004, the Friedrich Christian Flick Collection with its first-class masterpieces is on permanent loan to the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (National Museums in Berlin) and shown in the neighbouring Rieck halls.
- Die Sammlungen. The Collections. Les Collections
- Martin Kippenberger: sehr gut | very good
- Nina Canell. Rolf Julius Lautlos
- Robert Rauschenberg and 9 Evenings: Theatre & Engineering
- secret universe IV George Widener
- Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart - Berlin
- Friedrich Christian Flick Collection