Some texts are currently available in German only. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Today, there is no other building by Schinkel in the centre of Berlin that, both outside and inside, so authentically reflects the creative hand of the Prussian master builder Karl Friedrich Schinkel than the Friedrichswerder Church. Originally erected as a chapel for the German and French congregation, nowadays only the neo-Gothic oakwood pulpit, the original glass windows and the altar mensa remind one of its once sacral use.
Badly damaged in the Second World War, the church was restored from 1979 to 1986 in celebration of 200 years since Schinkel's birth (1781-1841). The choral window panes that were removed during the War and rediscovered in the Berlin Cathedral were returned to their original place. After restoration, the church was opened as part of the National Gallery on the occasion of the celebration of Berlin's 750th anniversary.
After ten years of use, the final restoration of selected details was completed between 1997 to 2000 and the Friedrichswerder Church became a museum.
The main focus remains on sculptures from the Schinkel period. Ninety exhibited works show the Berlin sculpture of Classicism and Romanticism.