Some texts are currently available in German only. We apologize for any inconvenience.
In addition to its main site at the Kulturforum, the Museum of Decorative Arts opened a second location at Köpenick Palace in May 2004. Built between 1677 and 1690 in Baroque style, the palace first became a museum in 1963. After the division of Germany, the National Museums in Berlin used it as exhibition space for those parts of the Museum of Decorative Arts' collection which had remained in East Berlin. In 1994, basic restoration work began on the building.
At Köpenick Palace, a new museum concept is devised: under the heading "RoomArt", furniture and decorative art from the Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo periods are jointly presented. Over 500 exhibits are on display, selected according to the original function the objects fulfilled within the 16th, 17th and 18th century culture of habitation and representation in the public, private and courtly spheres. The term "RoomArt" embraces all parts of the interior which in the past served as wall and room decorations in bourgeois and courtly dwelling rooms: tapestries, enamel works, panelling, leather hangings, a cabinet with Baroque cupboards from the Kunstkammer, centrepieces, porcelain and silver. After careful restoration, the ceiling paintings and the stucco ceilings created by Graubünden masters - a total of 29 - are also included in the new presentation concept.
One of the highlights of the tour of the palace are four remarkably complete walk-in panellings from the above mentioned periods, among them the richly inlaid Renaissance panelling from Haldenstein Palace in Switzerland and Höllrich Palace, further the silver buffet from Berlin Palace and the recreated so-called "coat of arms hall".
The Baroque truss is an exceptional technical monument. This space is used for the presentation of the study collection of metal instruments, faience, glass and porcelain. The basement, including the remains of the imposing north-eastern tower of the preceding building, houses an exhibition on the history of settlement and architectural development on the palace island. The extensive range of visitor services is rounded off by multimedia facilities offering details on the architecture of the palace and the collection, a reading room and, last not least, the palace café, idyllically located on the banks of the river.