Some texts are currently available in German only. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Today, the Old National Gallery (Alte Nationalgalerie) is home to 19th century sculptures and paintings. It came into being in 1861, when the banker J.H.W. Wagener bequeathed his art collection to the king and a new building was erected to house it. Having suffered severe damage during the Second World War, the Old National Gallery was partially re-opened in 1949, and in 1955 all of its rooms were once more accessible to the public. Due to the Masterplan Museum Island, which enabled the gallery's comprehensive restoration from 1998, it re-opened in December 2001 as the first restored building on the Museum Island. Together with Altes Museum, the Bode Museum (re-opened in October 2006), Neues Museum (re-opening 2009) and the Pergamon Museum, it belongs to the ensemble of Berlin's Museum Island which was listed as UNESCO World Cultural Heritage in 1999 and ranks among the most splendid highlights of the Berlin museum landscape.
The Alte Nationalgalerie, home of 19th century art, forms one of the five columns of the National Gallery. The remaining four are the Neue Nationalgalerie (New National Gallery) with art of the 20th century, the Museum Berggruen with works of early 20th century modernism, the Hamburger Bahnhof - Museum für Gegenwart - Berlin with contemporary art, and Friedrichswerdersche Kirche (Friedrichswerder Church) with 19th century sculptures. The Alte Nationalgalerie is regarded as a comprehensive collection of art of the era between the French Revolution and the First World War, between Classicism and Secessions. The harmonious relationship between the museum building and its collection is unique: designed under the auspices of Heinrich Strack according to plans by August Stüler, the gallery was built in the years 1867 to 1876: the collection it houses today, one of the most beautiful of its kind, originates from the same century. Hence, a tour through the museum offers a profound insight into the art of the 19th century.
3rd floor exhibition
The art of the Goethe era is represented with landscapes by Jakob Philipp Hackert, portraits by Anton Graff and his contemporaries and works of the German artists working in Rome, known as the Nazarenes: Peter Cornelius, Friedrich Overbeck, Wilhelm Schadow and Philipp Veit. Their frescoes illustrating the story of Joseph, commissioned for the Casa Bartholdy in Rome, constitute a major achievement of the period.
Two rooms on the top floor of the Alte Nationalgalerie offer space for the jewels of Romanticism. Paintings by Caspar David Friedrich from all phases of his artistic career illustrate the development of the great master of German Romantic art. Karl Friedrich Schinkel's programmatic architectural visions are evidence of the architect's ingeniousness as a landscape painter. Another focus is formed by the works of Carl Blechen, whose vibrant colours and unconventional motifs are ahead of their time. Moreover, on display are portraits by Philipp Otto Runge and Gottlieb Schick, as well as landscapes by Joseph Anton Koch and Carl Rottmann. Biedermeier art is represented with Berlin views by Eduard Gaertner and Johann Erdmann Hummel, as well as with landscapes, genre paintings and portraits by Carl Spitzweg, Ferdinand Georg Waldmüller and others.
2nd floor exhibition
The collection also contains rich holdings of high quality Impressionist painting. Masterpieces by Edouard Manet, Claude Monet, Auguste Renoir, Edgar Degas, Paul Cézanne and sculptures by Auguste Rodin were purchased at an early date.
Painting of the second half of the 19th century is abundantly represented with works by Hans Thoma, Anselm Feuerbach, Arnold Böcklin, Hans von Marées, Wilhelm Leibl and Wilhelm Trübner. Further, the Alte Nationalgalerie presents its large collection of paintings by Max Liebermann.
1st floor exhibition
Adolph Menzel's paintings, among them such important works as "The Balcony Room" and the "Iron Rolling Mill", reveal the artist as an unremitting observer who, picking up important subjects of Prussian history, simultaneously displays stupendous imagination and a fine sense of colouring.
Among the 19th century sculptures are such famous works as the two princesses by Johann Gottfried Schadow as well as works by Berthel Thorwaldsen, Antonio Canova, Ridolfo Schadow, Reinhold Begas, Adolf von Hildebrand and Constantin Meunier. Further sculptures of the Schinkel era are on display in Friedrichswerder Church.