Kunstbibliothek (Art Library)
The Kunstbibliothek (Art Library) is an institution of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin (National Museums in Berlin) within the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz (Foundation of Prussian Cultural Heritage). It comprises a large academic library specialising in art, art history and related fields, as well as collections of graphic art.
It serves the purpose of academic research and fulfils this function by collecting and cataloguing literature on art, art history and related subjects, making its holdings accessible to the public and giving expert information. Thus defined, its mission has, since 1972, been specially supported by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft: as part of its programme of decentralised collection focus, the Kunstbibliothek reinforces the purchase of literature on the architecture of the 20th century and on the art of the English/American, Iberian/Ibero-American and Scandinavian cultural regions. Besides the Kunstbibliothek in Berlin, this programme includes art libraries in Florence, Cologne, Munich, Nuremberg and Rome as its members. As a reference library, the Art Library does not lend materials but makes them accessible within a short period of time to be used in its two reading rooms.
The Art Library comprises the following library collections:
- library for art, art history and related subjects
- library at the Museum Island
- Lipperheide Costume Library
- Karl Steinorth Library at the Museum for Photography
Please click here for further information about these libraries.
Guide to Libraries at the National Museums in Berlin. (In German only)
Online Library Catalogue of the National Museums in Berlin
D - 10785 Berlin
Catalogue Enquiries +49 (0)30 266 42 4141
Fax +49 (0)30 266 42 4198
Director's Office +49 (0)30 266 42 4101
View this link for information on the Art Library's collection and history, as well as on conditions of usage.
Reading Room: Monday to Friday 9 am to 8 pm
Study Room: Monday 2 pm to 8 pm, Tuesday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm
1. The Kunstbibliothek is exclusively a reference library. Holdings and collections may only be used in the reading and study rooms of the library. Materials may not be borrowed to be taken out of the library.
2. Use of the library is free of charge.
3. Before every visit, readers must register their name and library card number in the visitors' book near the information desk. Readers only have to register once a day, even if visiting several times.
4. Readers will find the desired literature in the catalogues and will then order it by means of order forms openly obtainable in the library. The number of dispensed books may be limited for operational reasons.
Reproductions (Photocopies & Photographs)
As far as it has the necessary resources, the Kunstbibliothek takes on orders for reproductions (photocopies and photographs) from its library holdings and collections, provided that the condition of the originals allows it.
Strictly no photocopies can be made of:
- materials published before 1950
- prints and drawings
- materials from the special collections
- oversized materials
- rare items
Photocopies will be provided by the Kunstbibliothek on written order through the reader. The incurred costs will be met by the reader who ordered the copies. For charges see price list on display in the Kunstbibliothek. Readers have to pay the charges on being handed over the reproductions ordered. Photographs can be ordered via order forms to be filled in by the reader. Photo orders will be passed on to freelance photographers who, on execution of the work, will bill on their own account.