The Kolonnadenhof (Colonnade Courtyard) was the brainchild of Karl Friedrich Schinkel, the architect of the first museum on the Museumsinsel. His painting ‘Blick in Griechenlands Blüte’ (1825, Nationalgalerie) depicts a similar architectural design. In 1880, the courtyard garden was designed by former Tiergarten director Eduard Neide and, now as a historical garden, it is listed as part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site. In the 12,900 square-metre-large courtyard framed by colonnades, boxwood hedges have been planted to form a strict geometric pattern that skirts the fountain’s edge and the Alte Nationalgalerie. Lone plane trees are dotted within this scheme. The garden design, which is based on historical models, was conceived by the Berlin landscape architect Levin Monsigny. On 6 June 2010 (UNESCO World Heritage Day), the newly sculpted Kolonnadenhof was officially handed over for public use. From his position on the Alte Nationalgalerie’s grand staircase, the equestrian statue of Friedrich Wilhelm IV of Prussia commands a view over the Kolonnadenhof.