The Rathgen-Forschungslabor (Rathgen Research Laboratory) is believed to be the oldest museum’s laboratory in the world. It was founded in 1888 as the Chemical Laboratory of the Königliche Museen zu Berlin and was later renamed in honour of its first director Friedrich Rathgen, a chemist who specialised in the conservation and analysis of historical objects.

As the scientific arm of the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, the Rathgen-Forschungslabor provides support and advice on issues related to conservation, art technology and archaeometry. It not only offers its services to the museums in Berlin but also to institutions and organisations across the globe. The laboratory investigates museum objects and materials of all kinds, and conducts research on the preservation of historical monuments and archeological sites.

The Rathgen-Forschungslabor represents the Stiftung Preußischer Kulturbesitz as a founding member of the Research Alliance Cultural Heritage, which was established in 2008 together with the Leibniz-Gemeinschaft and the Fraunhofer-Gesellschaft.

Postal address:
Schloßstraße 1 a
14059 Berlin
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)30 / 266427100
Fax: +49 (0)30 / 266427110
rf-info[at]smb.spk-berlin.de 

Director: Dr. habil. Ina Reiche